Position Title: AmeriCorps VISTA – Communications Specialist
The Civic Canopy is seeking a Communications Specialist to provide strategic communications support by creating and implementing a comprehensive communications plan for the Canopy, its projects and the networks it supports. The successful candidate will exhibit the following:
• Culture Champion – Commitment to the Canopy’s mission and working with diverse partners.
• Results Producer – A results-focused orientation with a proven track record of exceeding goals.
• Agility – Ability to think strategically, foresee opportunities and challenges and adapt as needed.
• Strong Communicator – Excellent written and oral communication skills.
• Organization – Exceptional capacity to manage details, monitor progress and adjust accordingly.
• Action Oriented – Enjoys working hard, tackling challenges and is not afraid to take ownership of a situation.
Comprehensive Communications Plan Oversight
• Create a comprehensive communication strategy for The Civic Canopy, in partnership with Canopy team members and partners.
• Develop and implement tracking system to monitor implementation of communication strategy.
• Coordinate, organize and oversee implementation of communication strategy activities and tactics.
• Support and facilitate the development of any communication work groups.
• Collaborate with the Chief Strategy Officer to identify and address any barriers to achieving results and monitor communication budget.
Communication Tools and Resource Assurance
• Maximize use of existing communication tools; develop and promote new communication tools.
• Create a social media strategy canvas; manage and enhance the use of The Civic Canopy social media tools and methods.
• Oversee the update of The Civic Canopy website and provide ongoing content to keep the site fresh and useful.
• Provide leadership and create content for the development of the monthly Canopy newsletter and weekly blog.
• Assess the need, develop and promote new and innovative communication tools and resources.
• Incorporate storytelling alongside other data to fully showcase the work and the impact of The Civic Canopy.
• Monitor impact of communication tools and identify areas for improvement and enhancement.
• Provide communications expertise and support to Canopy networks in order to achieve their specific communication goals.
Marketing and Branding Alignment
• Ensure The Civic Canopy’s new marketing, branding and messaging is integrated into all Canopy materials and resources.
• Align all Canopy collaborative tools, templates and resources with a common marketing look and feel.
Training and Technical Assistance
• Build the capacity of The Civic Canopy team to maximize communication tools and resources that support collaborative processes.
• Design and provide training and technical assistance around communication strategies and approaches that facilitate collaboration.
Canopy Team Player
• Engage in cross-organization efforts, connecting communications work to the broader Canopy network.
• Share unique skills and expertise with The Civic Canopy team.
The Civic Canopy is seeking VISTA candidates who meet or exceed the following qualifications:
• High School Degree, minimum
• Ability to communicate effectively with diverse audiences including community members, professional partners, funders and government agencies
• Experience developing and providing strategic communications including creating written and oral content
• High levels of organizational skills with a focus on detail and follow through
• Ability to communicate effectively in both written and oral form to diverse audiences
• Skills in identifying and using communication tools enhance collaborative work
• Passion for social justice and treating all with equal respect and dignity
• Competent with Microsoft Office
• Familiarity with social media, WordPress and mail chimp, desired
• Proficiency in Spanish, desired
The AmeriCorps VISTA program is operated through the Corporation for National Community Service (CNCS) and offers a monthly stipend and health insurance. More information can be found at http://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/join-americorps
Those interested in this position may apply by submitting a letter of interest and a current resume via email to [email protected] listing ‘VISTA – Communications Specialist’ in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications shall be reviewed through February 15th, 2017