Application closed, email [email protected] with any questions.
Create lasting social change by equipping communities to work together to tackle complex social issues and join the dynamic team at The Civic Canopy, a community-based nonprofit located in beautiful Denver, Colorado!
The Civic Canopy is a nonprofit organization with the vision of a society where the many work as one for the good of all. The Canopy creates a culture of collaboration that drives transformative change by connecting diverse groups of people seeking change in their communities and equipping them with the tools to create meaningful and lasting impact. Click to view this position description in PDF. Qualified candidates must be part of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, and submit their application via the AmeriCorps portal by clicking here.
The Canopy’s Community Collaboration VISTA will help expand the capacity of The Civic Canopy to reach new partners, improve training offerings, enhance communications and cultivate additional resources to advance the organization’s mission. Following are examples of concrete tasks you could be working on:
- Researching best practices around resource development, social media, and coaching
- Updating Canopy tools and tracking systems
- Entering and analyzing data related to resource development, communication tools, and training approaches
- Assisting with small- and large-scale training and conference event planning and execution
Qualified candidates must be part of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, to learn more go to https://www.nationalservice.gov/programs/americorps/americorpsvista
Member Assignment and Activities
Resource Development Support
- Identify tools and systems to track fundraising activities, grant opportunities and individual donor outreach
- Support the build out of and data entry into tracking tools/systems
- Research and support grant development opportunities
- Support the planning and execution of donor-related activities and events
Outreach and Communications Support
- Assist in updating communication procedures, protocols and strategies.
- Research ever-changing social media practices and develop strategies to enhance Canopy social media
- Maintain the Canopy’s website(s)
- Compile monthly communications data/analytics and support the Canopy to learn and adjust based on data
- Incorporate storytelling alongside other data to fully showcase the work and the impact of The Civic Canopy
Training Toolkit Support
- Design online structure to organize tools in the Canopy Toolkit
- Create supplemental training tools and materials
- Coordinate community training offerings
Canopy Team Player
- Engage in organization-wide efforts, connecting your work to the broader Canopy network
- Share unique skills and expertise with The Civic Canopy team
- Be exposed to Canopy-related efforts through events, meetings, and conversations
The Civic Canopy is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, country of origin, ancestry, religion, age, disability status, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital or domestic partner status, mental health, or veteran status. We value diversity —cultural, work styles, communication approaches, and personal preferences—and strive to create an environment in which all team members are valued and respected. We are committed to increasing the diversity of our team and encourage responses from people of diverse backgrounds and abilities. And finally, we value work life balance and offer opportunities for flexible work schedules and environments. While we take our work seriously and strive for excellence, we also know the importance of having fun and inclusivity, bringing our authentic selves to the work environment, and enjoying our work and our teammates
We seek and support team members who exhibit the following:
- Culture Champion – Commitment to the Canopy’s mission and working as one for the good of all to ensure opportunities are more equally and equitably distributed.
- Results & Quality – A results-focused orientation with a history of achieving goals, and a strong commitment to quality and practice improvement.
- Agility – Ability to think strategically, foresee opportunities and challenges and adapt as needed.
- Understanding – Ability to communicate verbally and in writing, striving to listen to and understand people’s stories and perspectives on their own terms.
- Organization – Exceptional capacity to manage details, monitor progress and adjust accordingly, responsibly stewarding resources.
- Action Oriented – Enjoy working hard and tackling challenges, not being afraid to take ownership of a situation by holding oneself and team accountable for following through on commitments.
Skills Sought: writing/editing, computers/technology, written and oral communications, organizational and time management, critical thinking and problem solving, team work. Familiarity with social media, website design programs like WordPress, and email marketing programs like Mail Chimp desired.
Position Conditions: The Canopy office is a fun, modern office space located in the heart of historic Northeast Denver in a shared building which houses a variety of nonprofits. The Canopy team generally works 8 hour days, between 8am – 5pm. However, there may be occasions when the VISTA is required to work outside these hours (e.g. evenings or weekends) and will be supported to flex hours accordingly. A vehicle is not required for this position, yet reliable transportation within the Denver Area is important. This position may be required to lift up to 25lbs with reasonable accommodation available. Additional perks include: flexibility in schedule; open office work environment; coffee, tea, and restaurants nearby; proximity to rail line; and a parenting room in the building.
Compensation:The AmeriCorps VISTA program is operated through the Corporation for National Community Service (CNCS) and offers a monthly stipend and health insurance. More information can be found at https://www.vistacampus.gov/in-service/benefits-service.
Application Process: Qualified candidates must be part of the AmeriCorps VISTA program, and submit their application via the AmeriCorps portal by clicking here. In addition, you may submit a letter of interest and a current resume via email to [email protected] listing ‘Community Collaboration VISTA’ in the subject line. No phone calls please. Applications will be reviewed beginning April 15, 2018.